Wednesday 18 May 2011

My new favourite project

I feel I'm still quite new to blogging (only started mid January this year), and I realise that somewhere along the line I may get a negative comment or two. I accept that and carry on because I'm hooked and I love it, plus my style is not going to be everyone else's (which keeps the world interesting right?). However, I would like to ask a favour from you all (my gorgeous readers (it's okay to blatantly butter you up. And to use brackets inside brackets. Cos it's my blog.)) :) 


The brackets have reminded me of something so forgive me while I share this hilarious lovely story about my mum, who actually has had a phone a while and texts weekly or so. My little sister got some GCSE results at school the other day and text my mum 


"Mum I did really well on my exam!!! I got A :D"


(reply) "Okay. Well done."


Hmm not much enthusiasm so when she got home she asked my mum why she hadn't been happier. Yes she thought my sister had gotten a 'D'. It's ok, I'll wait while you go and re-read the text. 


I mean, how many of the teenagers today use colons anyway? Never mind in texts! 


Anyway back to the favour...I know not everyones taste is the same as mine, but pleasepleaseplease save any not-so-nice comments for another idea (maybe the lamp shade re-cover that ended pretty badly, and with an injury, I'll post it soon for you to laugh at), because I really love this one. 


Thank you!


So I started with a beaten up toy box that I originally wanted to do black. So...



But then I decided that it wasn't going to go with the fabric I'd chosen or look right in my living room so I sprayed over in white. But I'm glad I did because it ended up being a great colour and looks kind o shabby chic (not that I would be able to create that look if I had tried!)




I used gloss white and it looks pretty tough and I didn't have to varnish it! 


The best part about this box (yet another of my grandma's awesome finds!) is that it comes with a padded lid that doubles as a seat!



Now I don't normally have an eye for restoration, but when I saw this, even with the train and crazy looking train driver painted on the side, and with the stained (and potentially soiled) nylon blue lid, I was sold. I knew how I wanted it to look (well except I was wrong with the colour, see what I mean about not having an eye for it!).



And it turned out even better!



The bag is full of hair bands and clips, first cos Izzy likes to dress us up, and second because it gets crazy on a morning, and having most things downstairs and close to the getting ready means a (slightly) less crazy mum!


For the box lid I wrapped the material round like I was wrapping a present, but ironed a hem on the sides that would be exposed and hot glued down. A lot.




Then looped over the end of the ribbon and hot glued some more. (It works better to do small sections as it dries pretty fast.)




There you have it. My favourite (and longest) post! 


And to finish...



The boy that found the one tiny car in the whole crammed full box!

18 comments:

  1. its lovely!!! I wish i could do things like that...I lack creativity in those areas :( sigh

    ReplyDelete
  2. adorable! i am in love with that awesome fabric!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job with this, love the top cover :) Thanks for sharing at BC Good Life Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute idea! I love your blog design and the owls...adorable. Thanks for visiting my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea, I'm sure it will be well used and enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The box transformation is wonderful and I love the fabric. Thank you for sharing this great transformation at my party.
    xo,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that tree fabric! It's such an improvement and the handle for easy opening is genius!! Gret job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that's super cute! I like the hidden storage!!

    Tiffany, I blog over at:
    http://itsacowgirlthing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for your lovely comments. The fabric is Robert Kaufman / Amy Schlimer summer bird. (I found it on ebay!) And all I needed was a fat quarter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just darling, and by your little one's look, I'd say just perfect! Be yourself, and have fun! ignore any negativity; some people don't know how to be nice. Thanks so much for linking up with VIF! xo Debra

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the look of your blog, and your children look adorable. The box/seat is brilliant, and so useful. Thank you for giving me the link to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a great idea! I found you over at Homemaker on a dime & am now your neweset follower! Come and check out our blog at:
    sweetpeasandbb@gmail.com

    Alisa @ Sweet Peas and Bumblebees

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a darling little chest and love your cute story about the text! :) Thank you for sharing this at Feathered Nest Friday :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very sweet! Congrats on being featured at Ladybird Ln...that's where I saw ya! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great job. I love that it serves more than one purpose!

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  16. My little man will LOVE this! Toys and a chair!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete