Saturday 24 September 2011

Chocolate Strawberry Cupcakes





These are my favourite kind of cupcakes, first because they taste the nicest of any I've tried. They keep moist and have the most delicious strawberry chocolate taste I love. 


But also because you can use your not so nice, gone a bit soft and not very good for snacking on strawberries that will ultimately end up in the bin. (which makes me sad.) 


(I found this recipe and adapted it before blogging and so don't know where it came from, if you know please tell me so I can give credit!)




For the cupcakes:


2/3 cup strawberries
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla 
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 large egg, room temperature
2 large egg whites, room temperature 
1 1/4 cups all purpose-baking flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt

1. Puree the strawberries. (if you have extra puree them too but set aside for the icing later, you'll need another 1/2 a cup, or if you have lots, for a smoothie too!) Mix 2/3 of a cup of the puree with the milk and vanilla and set aside.

2. Cream the butter and add in the sugar. Then mix in the egg and egg whites. (I use my spare egg yolks in a white sauce or for scrambled eggs for lunch - good kid's portion!)

3. Gradually mix the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.

4. Mix in the strawberry puree and pour into cupcake cases, baking in an oven at 180 degrees C for 22-25 mins. (22 for my fan oven)

5. While they're baking try resisting licking out the bowl. If you manage it you have mad will power!

While they're cooling make the topping:

1/2 a cup of strawberry puree
3 cups of icing sugar
about half to a whole cup of butter (depending on preference)

1. Mix together adding butter until you get your desired consistency and top the cupcakes! 



Optional, add cute sprinkles and make tiny cupcakes so you feel like a giant/like you're not eating as much! (5 mini ones = 1 normal one right?)


Plus they're perfect for little girls...

 

 

Mmmm...wish I had some now.

5 comments:

  1. These look great!

    Jenny
    www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi me again!! ;)

    I wanted you to know that I just awarded you with 'The Versatile Blogger Award' over at my blog (http://thepurplequiltapotamus.blogspot.com/). Thanks for being one of the blogs that I love to read! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Izzy looks like a model eating that cup cake!
    She is so cute!
    Beth!xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. these look cute! and it looks like your little girl enjoyed them too :) Thanks so much for linking up to Tuesday Talent Show! I would love to have you stop by and link up again tomorrow with more great projects!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete