Friday 14 October 2011

Halloween Treats

Just in case you missed this guest Halloween post, here it is in full.


Hi Clean and Scentsible readers! I'm Rhiannon from My Handcrafted Home.



(Yes this is an old photo, but there just aren't that many of me, I'm usually behind the camera.)

Today I'm going to show you a couple of easy Halloween treats you can make alone or with your kids.


Chocolate Toffee Apples


Cake Pop Ghosts

First up the chocolate toffee apples.

(Toffee recipe adapted from a girl and a glue gun)

For the toffee melt in a large microwavable bowl:

1 can of condensed milk
1 1/2 cup of caster sugar
1 cup of golden syrup (though I hear in the US it's corn syrup?)
1/2 a cup of butter



Then all you need to do is microwave for 12 minutes, stirring every 3 minutes. Get everything else ready you need. Wash and dry the apples (about 9), get a large bowl of cold water (for your toffee mixture to dunk into), 200g of dark choc and whatever else you want on your apples. I chose chopped nuts for me and mini smarties for my daughter.



Add a tbsp of water then microwave for 2 more mins. 

Then add a tsp of vanilla and give it 2 more minutes. Be careful as it will be VERY hot! And still be bubbling when you're stirring near the end.

Using oven gloves put the bowl into a larger bowl of cold water and then start dunking your apples. (obviously your kids can't help with this bit, but the chocolatey bit is coming soon!)



This is easier if you leave the stalks on the apples, you can always pull them off later.


Leave them on some grease proof paper to set. I had to use a chopping board as my husband cleaned out the cupboard and our paper mysteriously disappeared... 

Then melt some chocolate and dip the apples in that and any other extras you fancy.

 


You can just about see that toffee layer. It is SO yummy and stays soft too. I even put the rest of my toffee mixture into a silicone loaf tin and topped with melted choc (left over from the ghost cake pops). Then cut it into squares to serve!

Now the cake pops.

Bake your choice of sponge cake or cake mix. Let cool completely. Crumble with your fingers into a bowl and mix with frosting until you get a soft 'ball'.


I used icing sugar and strawberry puree for my frosting (because I'd been making chocolate strawberry cupcakes the day before to use up some soft strawberries. Too much bakes goodness for one family!).

Make into small one inch balls.


Melt about 400g of white chocolate, though I had extra left for the toffee above, probably 250g would do.

If you want these to be cake pops dip the end of your stick in a little melted white chocolate and then push about a third of the way into your ball. Let set.

Dip the balls into your chocolate until covered evenly and allow the excess to drip off. Then leave on grease proof paper to set (again I had to improvise!). You can see I used a knife as I wasn't doing to 'pop' version, just the pop in your mouth version.



Once set put some cute little ghost faces on with black writing icing.



And have some fun with them! (poor little ghost.)

If you want to stop by my blog and say 'hi' click here! I'd love to know if you try any of these out and to see some pics! Thanks so much for having me Jenn. 


3 comments:

  1. Cake pops are a favorite at my house. Bet this little ghosts would be popular too!
    Visiting from the Not So Simple Housewife.
    :) craftytexasgirls.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your ghost pops are too cute. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rhiannon, what delightful halloween treats. Thanks for sharing. I bet your kiddies love them. I found and am now following you through My Romantic Home and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris

    ReplyDelete